Farmhouse Console Table

I saw this farmhouse console table on an Instagram account that I follow. You’re probably familiar with Shanty 2 Chic. They have tons of free plans and most of their builds are relatively easy. I sent Preston the plans and he got to work. You can find the plans here.

Total, it cost around $40 to build this table. We modified the length of the table because the original plans called for it to be 94.5 inches long. That was a little too long for my liking, so we modified it to be around 78 inches instead.

When Preston finished building the table, we let it sit for about a week in the house until we decided which color to paint/stain it. I have so much white furniture in my living room, so we opted for a blue base with a stained top. The base color is Glidden Dark Winter Sky Blue. We stained the top with General Finishes Java Gel Stain. We are obsessed with this brand!

I think this was a good fit for this wall in my living room and the cow definitely makes a little more sense now. I’m now on the hunt for a couple of white baskets for underneath! I am really happy with how this turned out!

Cow2

Cow1

Hello, New Floors.

Ever notice that no matter the size of your kitchen, that’s where everyone seems to gather? Well, I didn’t want everyone to gather in our kitchen because I really wasn’t a fan of the green floors we had. They were really cramping my style. (Excuse the dirty houseโ€“this was the night before construction).

IMG_0349

My husband and I had been talking about replacing them for a while but just kept putting it off. Finally, we decided there was no better time than now, so we got to work. We felt this was a job that needed to be done by a professional, so we bought all the materials and let the tile man go to work.

We settled on a 12×24 silver porcelain tile. After looking all over Madison County, low and behold, we found the tile of our choice from Lowes. You can find it, here.

812027021513

After we bought the materials (tile, thin set, grout, backer board, screws, etc.) we let the tile man get to work. He made pretty amazing progress on day one! Shout out to Robert’s Custom Tile!

IMG_0353
Robert had all the backer board laid on the first day, as well as all the solid pieces of tile.
IMG_0354
By Day 3, the floors were finished. We used “Delorean Grey” for the grout color.

I don’t think the floor registers had been replaced since the house was built so we bought new ones thatย you can find here.ย We are BIG Amazon Prime shoppers when it comes to house hold items such as light fixtures and other miscellaneous things!

71hC5+lZ0CL._SL1500_

 

Needless to say, this was a long overdue project, and we are so glad we got this one knocked out in time for Memorial Day Weekend! Slowly but surely, we are putting our kitchen back together. We are excited to have friends and family over to gather in our kitchen!

 

IMG_6165

-Whitney S.

Week 1-2 Projects

Hey Everyone!

I am SO excited to finally be sharing some of our house updates with you. I haven’t had internet in the new house for a little over a week…I feel like I’ve been living off the grid! Just kidding, but I am excited to get this thing started and share with you some things we have been working on in the last week or so. To learn a little about how we found our house, be sure to check out the “Our Home” page on my blog.

Let’s get started.

The Green Garage Door

What an eye sore it was. When we first looked at this house, we saw how much potential it had. Everyone who saw it said to us, “You are going to paint that garage door, right?” We assured them it was the first thing on our list. We went out of town to visit family and while we were gone, we had our painter come paint some of the interior of the house. He offered to paint the garage for an extra $100… DONE! It’s amazing how much better the exterior looks since having this done. Garage doors are meant to blend with the house, not stand out and be a focal point.

img_3420
Before and After. SO MUCH BETTER!

Ceiling Fan Nightmare

Let’s just say the original owners hadn’t replaced the ceiling fans probably since the house was built back in 1986. YIKES!

They were brown. They were small. They had lattice on them. You guys, this is such an easy fix! Preston and I had gone a few weeks before we moved to Home Depot and picked out a new ceiling fan. We went with the Hunter “Channing” fan. It was $99! You can’t beat that. Originally, we had planned to only replace the one in the living room and the master bedroom. Those were the only ceiling fans in the house. Before we knew it, we had bought 4 ceiling fans and now have them in 3 of the bedrooms and in the living room. They looked that good!

img_3444
I wish I had better pictures, but in the hustle and bustle of moving, it was the best I could get!

Bye Bye, Yellow Walls

Yall, I have just never been a fan of yellow walls. In our last house, we had the gold/yellow standard contractors paint throughout the house when we first moved in. Eventually, we had the whole house painted Benjamin Moore’s Revere Pewter. The original owners of this house had recently painted most of the house Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige. It was close enough the the Revere Pewter, so we had the rooms that were still yellow painted while we were out of town visiting family. It literally changed everything.

islmnfk9c58u8j0000000000

img_3624

img_3622
Our master looks totally different. Nothing a little paint and a new ceiling fan can’t fix.

We have officially been in our house two weeks today, and we are making some headway. Our current, and very large undertaking, are the kitchen cabinets. This makes the second weekend we have been working on them. I’ll save that one for another blog!

Until next time!

-Whitney